Friday, March 05, 2004

"I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't my fault, I swear to God...!"

—Belushi as Jake Blues in The Blues Brothers, 1980

John Belushi died on this day in 1982. The talented actor and comedian died after shooting up a "speedball", a mixture of cocaine and heroin, which slowed his breathing and finally caused complete respiratory failure. Comedian Robin Williams was one of the last people to see him alive.

Cathy Smith, former back-up singer for The Band turned addict and drug dealer, was Belushi's companion during the 24 hours that preceeded his death, injecting him several times during an all night drugfest because Belushi was fearful of needles but liked the high. She was later convicted of manslaughter and served 18 months in prison.

On March 9th, Comedian and close friend Dan Ackroyd, dressed in a black leather jacket and black jeans, led the funeral procession on a motorcycle.

Belushi was 33 years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home