Safari And The :First-Letter

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Here's something I found out the hard way, after scratching my head and saying "Ah Duh...Du-oh!" about a million times. The Safari browser hates it when you try to use :first-letter styling and combine it with some type of text-transforming. Absolutely hates it. For those of who who anticipate taking advantage of this CSS pseudo element it is something to keep in mind. Style the :first-letter all you want, but DON'T apply text-transform to the PARENT ELEMENT. I mean it. For me it resulted in an undeclared and undesired transforming of the 2nd letter as well. And there is really not much on the web to clue you into this fact.

Isn't that strange? You'd think a major bug like this would be well-documented. It isn't. But don't take my word for it. Do a Google Search and see what you can find. I'd be very surprised if you found something as straightforward and helpful as this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home